Corn & Tomato Salad
2 ears farm fresh corn
2 pints small tomatoes – preferably different sizes, shapes and color
1/2 medium red onion
2 cloves garlic
1 ounce basil leaves or about 1 cup chiffonade
1 1/2 tablespoons good balsamic vinegar
5 tablespoons good olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoon salt plus 1 teaspoon to “brine” tomatoes
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1. Shuck corn taking care to remove all silk. Cook corn in lightly salted boiling for 2 minutes. Remove from water and immediately run under cold water to stop cooking.
2. Halve tomatoes and place in bowl. Optional step: Add 1 teaspoon salt and toss well. Let site for 30 to 60 minutes. This “brining” of tomatoes will pull out some water and concentrate flavor. If you chose not to do this it’s no big deal. If you do brine the tomatoes, be sure to drain away rendered water before using tomatoes in Step 6.
3. Peel onion. Slice in half north to south. Cut one half in half as shown in the photo.
Thin slice the onion.
4. Trim root end from two garlic cloves
Placing flat of blade over cloves, gently pound on blade to lightly crush garlic beneath and loosen peel.
Place flat of blade on peeled cloves and with more force, crush cloves. Cloves can now be quickly finely diced.
5. Stack basil leaves in small piles. Cut across width of leaves to create a chiffonade. A chiffonade is thin strips.
6. Tomatoes, corn, onion, garlic, basil, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt,pepper and balsamic vinegar. Toss well. Add olive oil and toss again.
Platter and serve.